Without a plan one floats through life aimlessly, without direction. If you notice you’ve drifted from your goals, values and dreams, don’t wallow in self-pity. That’s not helpful. Instead, take action now by identifying values, dreaming big, and setting goals to create a fulfilling, happy life. When creating goals, be realistic and as specific as possible. Then, make a plan and take action. You deserve to live the life in which you’ve always dreamed. Whether you are 20 or 80, now is the time to work toward a healthier, happier you!
Below I’ve provided questions to uncover your desires, values and dreams, which will support and guide the reflection portion based on seven areas of your life: Health and Wellness, Relationships, Physical Environments, Career, Money and Finances, Leisure, and Personal Development. Break out the paper and pen and answer the following questions or download the PDF here.
Uncover your Desires, Values, and Dreams
Answer the following questions to dive deeper into your aspirations, motivations, fears, and goals.
- What does your ideal day look like?
- Who are you most inspired by? Why?
- If you could make one change in the world, what would it be?
- What excites you?
- What do you wish you did more of?
- Pretend money is no object. What would you do?
- What area of your life, right now, makes you feel the best? Which area makes you feel the worst? Why?
- Imagine your future self: What do they look like? How do they present themselves? What are they doing? What advice do they have for you?
What do you want to accomplish during your life?
Look at the following seven areas to reflect on your current life situation and status, develop your vision and goals, then create action steps. Use the information from the questionnaire above to inform your answers.
- Health and Wellness
- How do I want to look and feel? Why?
- Which habits positively contribute to my health?
- Which habits negatively effect my health?
- What two changes can I make today to support my health and wellness?
- Relationships: Friends, Family, and Community
- What do I want in a partner? What will/do I bring to the relationship?
- Do I want to be actively involved in my current family?
- Do I want a family?
- Do I want to actively contribute to my community (volunteering, providing a needed service, working in schools, churches, mental health facilities)?
- What do I want my social life to be like?
- Physical Environment: House, Geographical Location, Office Space, Neighborhood
- Where will I live?
- Where will I work?
- What type of house do I want? In what type of neighborhood?
- Work, Business, Career
- What opportunities excite me?
- What do I want to get good at?
- Do I want to work closely with others or remotely? Am I introverted or extroverted?
- Money and Finances
- What do I want from my working life? Be my own boss, start a business, work for someone else
- How much money do I really need?
- Where will income come from?
- Fun, Leisure, and Recreation
- What will I do in my free time?
- Do I want to take up a new hobby or learn a new skill?
- Will I be doing things for others (charity, volunteering, caring for others)?
- Personal Development: Seeking Knowledge, Experience, Learning, Spirituality
- What do I want to learn more about?
- What new experiences would I like to have (traveling, book clubs, the arts, nature, meditation groups)?
For each of these areas find out the why behind the goal by asking yourself, “What is the compelling reason for wanting to change my life in this way?”. By identifying a compelling reason for change, you are more able to overcome challenges, increasing the likelihood of success.
Imagine Your Next 6 months, 1 Year, 5 Years
Using the responses from the previous section, create one or two goals in each area. Be realistic and as specific as possible, including a timeline (6 months, 1 year, 5 years, etc.). List out resources you may need to support your growth (books, coaches, conferences, therapists), list routines and habits you’ll need to develop, and create action steps.
Write our plan of action for each goal using the following formula:
- SMART Goal:
- Routines/ Habits:
- Action Steps:
Get out there, get out of your comfort zone, and create the life you want!
Talk – Tara Brach: Your Future Self – Turning Toward Your Awakened Heart/Mind: https://www.tarabrach.com/your-future-self/
Meditation – Tara Brach: Accessing the Wisdom of the Heart:
Create a 5 Year Plan: http://momschoosejoy.com/create-5-year-plan-personal-growth-goals/
Get to Know Who You Are: http://www.mistysansom.com/know-who-you-are-with-these-25-questions/
How to Make a Plan for Your Life: https://youtu.be/hL2ZiEU6pFs
Living With Intention: https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10705/the-beginners-guide-to-living-with-intention.html